Are you interested in learning how social media and web-based metrics can be utilized in publication planning, and what guidelines and best practices should be followed?
The ISMPP Social Media and Web-based Metrics Working Group was formed in 2016-2017 to develop and share best practices, and to foster a common understanding of how digital platforms and data can be used to effectively communicate medical research to multiple stakeholders and to track digital engagement.
The Working Group has been organized into several workstreams to explore various areas of focus, including:
- Web-based Metrics: what they mean (or don’t), and how they can be used
- Collecting and interpreting web-based metrics, and identifying actionable outcomes
- Pairing alternative and traditional metrics to provide a pragmatic interpretation of publication-related activity
- Methods for extending reach and impact for publishers, editors, pharma, and medical communication agencies
- Enhanced digital content and social media
- Guidelines for social media from multiple perspectives
- Patient engagement and social media
As an initial resource for ISMPP members, the Working Group is pleased to provide a Glossary of Terms that is now available for members’ reference. The Glossary provides a listing of common terms applicable to social media and web-based metrics with corresponding definitions, and it is the first of various resources planned for release over the next year. ISMPP members can access the Glossary in the Member Center of ISMPP’s website.
“We are thrilled to be reaching a stage where the Working Group can begin sharing helpful resources with our ISMPP colleagues. The Working Group plans to release various resources and information in different formats to help inform ISMPP members about the use of social media and web-based metrics in medical publications and communications planning and deliverables.” – Michelle Kissner, Working Group co-chair.
The Social Media and Web-based Metrics Working Group includes the following active volunteer members: