ISMPP is pleased to share these recent publications and presentations by Society members. We encourage members to publish and present research and information related to publishing practices to advance the medical publications profession, and improve standards and best practices.
Professional Medical Writing Support and Adherence to CONSORT for Abstracts Published in F1000Research
A publication titled, “Professional medical writing support and the reporting quality of randomized controlled trial abstracts among high-impact general medical journals,” was published in F1000Research, in September 2017. The publication reported on whether professional medical writing support was associated with improved adherence to Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trials (CONSORT) for Abstracts. Click here to access the publication.
Interestingly, the study found that professional medical writing support was not associated with increased overall adherence to CONSORT for Abstracts; however, professional medical writing support improved the reporting of adverse events and funding source, among other elements. This article builds on previous publications that reported on whether professional medical writing support was associated with increased adherence to CONSORT for randomized controlled trial publications.
Publication authors included ISMPP members Ira Mills and Chris Winchester, and represented a collaborative effort across academia and industry (PAREXEL International, Oxford PharmaGenesis, and Ipsen Pharma). This study was previously presented at the 13th Annual Meeting of ISMPP, May 1-3, 2017.
ISMPP Members Presented Posters at Recent Peer Review Congress
During the Eighth International Congress on Peer Review and Scientific Publication, September 10-12, 2017, in Chicago, several ISMPP members were in attendance to present posters on medical publication topics. Below is a list of the poster titles and ISMPP member authors. The full abstracts can be found on the specified pages through the following link on the Peer Review Congress website: www.peerreviewcongress.org/pdf/2017/prc8-poster-complete.pdf.
- Disclosure of Results of Clinical Trials Sponsored by Pharmaceutical Companies [page 76]
Slavka Baronikova, Christopher Winchester, Eric Southam, Julie Beeso, Antonia Panayi
- Presence of a Unique Trial Identifier in the Abstracts of Industry-Sponsored Manuscripts [page 98]
LaVerne Mooney, Lorna Fay
- Transparency and Completeness in the Reporting of Stakeholder Involvement in the Development and Reporting of Research Reporting Guidelines [page 108]
Karen Woolley, Serina Stretton
Publishing Industry-Sponsored Research Presented at AUA Summer Research Meeting
Grannum Sant presented an educational lecture on the topic, “Publishing Your Research from Industry-Sponsored Clinical Trials,” at the American Urological Association (AUA) Summer Research Meeting, in August 2017. The presentation provided a forum to share information with the urologist audience about:
- Authorship Guidelines
- Good Publication Practices (GPP)
- Data Transparency and Open Data
- Conflict of Interest
- Physician Payments Sunshine Act
- Predatory Journals
The ISMPP Advocacy & Outreach Committee, of which Grannum is a member, provided support in preparing the presentation as part of its educational outreach efforts to medical societies.
Current Medical Publication Topics Highlighted at MedComms Networking Events
Several ISMPP members presented on medical publication topics at recent MedComms Networking Brunch Club events.
- October 2017 – Jan Seal-Roberts: Predatory Publishers – What’s New; John Dixon: Readability Tools: Are They Useful for Medical Writers?
- August 2017 – John Dixon: Advisory Boards: The Medical Writer’s Perspective
- July 2017 – Gavin Sharrock: Using Content Consumption Behaviour to Inform Your Publication Strategy & Working with Medical Societies; Russell Traynor: Publications in a Digital World & iEnvision for Publication Planners
- June 2017 – Jackie Marchington: The Corporate Author, A Forensic Examination of a Possibly Questionable Journal, & Growing ORCIDS, Tips for Agencies
These and other presentations are housed on www.medcommsnetworking.com.
Members are invited to notify ISMPP when they publish or present information related to the Society or medical publications, as a basis to share with ISMPP’s membership. Please contact Anna Geraci, ISMPP’s Director of Communications, at email@example.com.