As ISMPP embarks on its 11th year as a non-profit professional Society, we are proud to share our progress over the past year and reaffirm our commitment to our mission and vision. As always, these advances are in great part due to your support and continued involvement in the various committees that help define ISMPP.
While there are countless initiatives and activities that are ongoing within the Society, I am limited to focusing on a few. Hopefully these will provide insight into some of the key strategic and tactical issues that both staff and volunteers are working on as ISMPP continues to grow and thrive.
Board of Trustees (BOT) Strategic Work Group
A Strategic Work Group has been established, consisting of individuals representing industry, agency and editors and/or publishers; regional representation; and current/past representation on the BOT.
The purpose of this group is to establish a formal mechanism to continue the Society’s long-term (5 -10 year) strategic process discussions initiated in 2015. It will conduct further analyses and research on the various options previously discussed, in addition to developing and presenting strategic recommendations to the BOT. The first meeting will be held in August 2016.
Significant progress has been made over the past year in our efforts to find ways to increase collaboration with various professional organizations. Some key highlights include:
- European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA) presentation at this year’s ISMPP Annual Meeting, and presentation and roundtable at this year’s European Meeting of ISMPP
- European Medicines Agency (EMA) presentation and roundtable at the 2016 European Meeting of ISMPP
- Enhancing the QUAlity and Transparency Of health Research (EQUATOR) Network presentation at the 2016 European Meeting of ISMPP
- European Association of Science Editors (EASE) annual conference presentation by ISMPP (June 2016)
- Asia Pacific Association of Medical Journal Editors (APAME) annual conference presentation by ISMPP (August 2016)
- The International Publication Planning Association (TIPPA), Drug Information Association (DIA), CBI, and Q1 presentations
- Australasian Medical Writers Association conference presentation on GPP3 (August 2016)
- Endorsement of GPP3 by the American Medical Writers Association (AMWA), European Medical Writers Association (EMWA), Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE), Japan Medical and Scientific Communicators Association (JMCA), and EASE
We will continue to seek new opportunities to work together on issues of high importance to our profession and which we can make a significant impact.
As we have become aware over the past several years, it is critical that we need to increasingly share our best practices and invest in the global environment. While no single individual, government, or company can adequately address the multitude of issues, ISMPP continues to do its part through the following activities:
- A 2017 Asia Pacific Meeting of ISMPP will be held on September 5, 2017 in Tokyo, Japan
- Translation of GPP3 into Chinese and Japanese
- 2016 “Country Champion” initiatives in China, Japan, India, and Singapore
- Quarterly ISMPP U sessions targeted to the Asia Pacific region
Many thanks to our valued members in Asia Pacific who are working tirelessly to ensure these meetings and activities are held to the highest standard!
In closing, I want to let you know that despite our growth and accomplishments over the past 11 years, we’ve only started down the path of realizing our full potential and purpose as a Society. Also, I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge all you do as a Volunteer, Exhibitor or Corporate Sponsor to help make our Society successful.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me should you have suggestions for improvement to the map or if you would like to suggest any topics for inclusion in future issues. You can reach me at email@example.com.
With very best wishes,
Al Weigel, ISMPP President and CEO