The 13th Annual Meeting of ISMPP was a great success, with its programming focused on the meeting theme, Global Publication Practices: Advancing Ethics and Scientific Integrity in an Era of Data Sharing. Over 560 attendees participated in the meeting, held May 1-3, 2017, at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center, in National Harbor, Maryland, USA.
Through its program offerings, this year’s Annual Meeting addressed a multitude of timely topics in medical publications. Plenary sessions covered data sharing and patient privacy; practical approaches to improving efficiencies in the publishing process; the use of health technology platforms such as CancerLinQ DiscoveryTM for real world data; various models of journal peer review; the role of health economics and outcomes research in communicating value to payers, physicians, and patients; and lessons from corporate integrity agreements that have guided current publication practices.
Parallel sessions and roundtable topics offered attendees a variety of options to tailor their learning experience. Roundtables covered such new topics as the evolving role of the publication professional, implications of EMA Policy 0070 on publication planning, and scientific platforms. Pre- and post-conference workshops provided an added opportunity to find out more about specific topics, including new workshops on authorship best practices, challenges and implications of publications in emerging markets, publications reporting data from real world evidence studies, and social media and publications.
Member research was on display throughout the meeting, featuring 38 posters and four oral presentations. Four guided poster tours and the ISMPP Member Poster Presentation Assembly provided engaging forums to hear more about individual research. The three posters below were award winners in the categories of original research, best practice, and best visual communication. Congratulations to the poster award winners!
Original Research Award: Poster #3
Development and reporting of research reporting guidelines – who and what are missing?
Serina Stretton, Lauri Arnstein, and Karen L. Woolley
Best Practice Award: Poster #17
Effective management of multiple publication plans with overlapping timelines: A case study
Claire A. Daniele, Sameera Kongara, Mike Smith, and Shannon Winters
Best Visual Communication Award: Poster #25
Patient and disease registry publications: an online survey of medical publication professionals
Michael Craig, Jürgen Wiehn, and Anne Descours
- Deborah A. Zarin, MD, Director of ClinicalTrials.gov, in the National Library of Medicine at the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Kay Dickersin, PhD, Professor and Director for the Center for Clinical Trials and Evidence Synthesis, Department of Epidemiology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins, and Director of the US Cochrane Center (USCC)
- Patti Peeples, RPh, PhD, Founder and CEO, HealthEconomics.Com, and Principal Researcher, HE Institute
- Thomas Sullivan, President of Rockpointe Corporation, and Editor of Policy and Medicine
In honor of this year’s esteemed faculty, ISMPP has given a charitable donation to the American Brain Tumor Association.
The 2017-2018 ISMPP Board of Trustees was installed during the Business Meeting. Juli Clark assumed the role of Chair. The following individuals were elected to their positions: Chris Winchester, Chair-Elect; Karen Mittleman, Secretary; Carolyn Hustad, At-Large Member; and Anna-Lisa Fisher, European Trustee.
If you missed the 13th Annual Meeting, or want to revisit its sessions and activities:
- The ISMPP U webinar scheduled for June 28, 2017, at 11:00 AM EST/4:00 PM GMT will share highlights of the 13th Annual Meeting, including presentations from the three poster award winners.
- A 13th Annual Meeting Archive is available in the Member Center of the ISMPP website, which contains general session presentations and posters for personal, non-commercial use.
- A video montage from the 13th Annual Meeting is available on the ISMPP Channel on YouTube.
With Our Appreciation!
ISMPP expresses its appreciation to the following exhibitors and sponsors of the 13th Annual Meeting for their generous support of the Society.
ISMPP also extends a special thank you to the Annual Meeting Program Committee, Abstract Committee, and Global Workshop Committee for their valuable contributions to this successful meeting!
Annual Meeting Program Committee
Global Workshop Committee
|Aruna Seth, Chair
Angela Bickford, Vice Chair
|Bhakti Kshatriya, Chair